NEW: Stencila/Substance/eLife Reproducible Document Stack project

Hi all,

I am excited :smiley: to announce that eLife are supporting a project, in collaboration with Stencila and Substance, to create a full, open technology stack for authoring, compiling and publishing computationally reproducible manuscripts online.

The Reproducible Document Stack will be a set of tools and frameworks through which publishers can present computationally reproducible documents online and in full.

As part of this project, we aim to add several extensions to JATS XML that enable reproducible elements, such as statistical results, tables and graphs, to be embedded within journal articles. These extensions will allow such reproducible elements to be preserved right through the authoring, review and production pipeline. Ultimately, we hope the project will incentivise the sharing of demonstrably reusable data and code underlying a research article.

Please see the full announcement :tada: for more information: https://elifesciences.org/for-the-press/e6038800/elife-supports-development-of-open-technology-stack-for-publishing-reproducible-manuscripts-online.

You can also read more about the Reproducible Document Stack in our accompanying eLife Labs post: https://elifesciences.org/labs/7dbeb390/reproducible-document-stack-supporting-the-next-generation-research-article.

Special thanks to Nokome for his work on Stencila so far :sparkles: — we are excited to contribute to making this vision a reality.

Please let me know if you’d like more information, or to speak with someone further about this project.

– Naomi Penfold, Innovation Officer

Email: innovation@elifesciences.org
Twitter: @eLifeInnovation
Gitter: @npscience

Thanks @eLifeInnovation for your support! I think it’s important to acknowledge that this is a shared community vision. A vision with a history that goes back at least as far as Donald Knuth’s work in the early 1980s.

Over the last three decades, there’s been lots of workshops held, discussions had and technology developed by some really smart people. That the vision of self-contained, reproducible, published research articles is not yet a reality is testament to the fact this is not an easy problem to solve. The blockers are not just technological, they are also social - the technology needs to be more accessible and fit into people existing workflows.

I’m optimistic that we can make the vision a reality. But to do that it’s going to be important to work with the broader community and remind ourselves not to reinvent the wheel, but instead build on the work of those who have been on this path before us!