References / citations

Is there any documentation on how to use citations/references?

I can see an option to Cite References, but can’t figure out how to make it selectable.

Also, does Stencila work with (or have plans to integrate with) Zotero?

I edited my initial post after figuring out how to add references by trial/error:

1. Click the ‘View’ menu and select ‘Show references’
  2. Click ‘Add Reference’ and fill out the form or insert the DOI to the paper
  3. Now ‘Cite>Reference’ is selectable!

As an aside, does Stencila incorporate the latest release of Texture? More in general, what is the precise relationship between Texture and Stencila? Is Stencila a superset of Texture so that using Texture rather than Stencila wouldn’t make any sense? Thanks

@lollopus: glad that you managed to figure that out : we need to create some user guide documentation for things like that!

As an aside, does Stencila incorporate the latest release of Texture?

Yes, currently Stencila Desktop 0.28.2 depends upon Texture v1.0.0-preview.2.2, the latest release.

More in general, what is the precise relationship between Texture and Stencila? Is Stencila a superset of Texture so that using Texture rather than Stencila wouldn’t make any sense?

Stencila’s user interfaces build on top of Texture and Substance (which Texture is built upon). Stencila Articles are built on top of Texture adding code cells and reproducible figures. Stencila Sheets are built using Substance and also integrated with our execution engine. So, you are correct, right now it does not make much sense to use Texture and not Stencila.

We are planning to invert the relationship between Texture and Stencila - that is make Stencila a plugin to Texture. This should make it simpler for users to understand the relationship between the two products. Stencila will focus on developing the computational aspects (e.g. execution engine, execution contexts in R, Python etc, and the UI components to interact with them) which can be plugged in to Texture. And Texture will have the focus as a community driven tool for digital authoring and publishing (with or without the computational aspects that Stencila or any other plugin brings).

Also, does Stencila work with (or have plans to integrate with) Zotero?

That would be great and certainly something that is often asked about. But, especially given the inverted relationship described above, is a question for the Texture team @michael and @oliver https://github.com/substance/texture

Great, thanks for your thorough feedback. Now I know where to submit any bug reports/enhancement suggestions depending on the specific tool involved. I am giving it a try to draft my next manuscript in Texture/Stencila… cheers, L