Stencila in Binder

I’ve been having a bit of FOMO over the past few days: the eLife sprint is happening in Cambridge and I can’t be there :frowning_face: (Hope it’s all going well and you’re having plenty of fun @eLifeInnovation @Giuliano @daniellecrobinson)

So it was a nice surprise to wake up this morning to find that Daniel Nüst (@daniel) and Min Ragan-Kelley had chosen to do a project involving Stencila!

The project is putting the Stencila editor into a Docker container that can be launch with Binder enabling editing of Dar archives. Check out the Github repo.

So, to help out I spent the day working on adding support for running code cells. Since the base jupyter/minimal-notebook image already has a Jupyter kernel for Python installed I decided to enable Stencila’s JupyterContext. It acts as a bridge between Stencila’s API and Jupyter kernels. I included the stencila-node Node.js package in the Docker image which provides the JupyterContext as well as a NodeContext (for executing Javascript) and a SqliteContext (for executing SQL).

Here’s a link to the result: a Stencila project running on Binder connecting to a Jupyter kernel :tada:

https://mybinder.org/v2/gh/nokome/jupyter-dar/add-stencila-host?urlpath=%2Fstencila%2F

Inception works! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m extremely excited for this project, and grateful it was taken on by such a committed pair. Well done guys, I look forward to seeing where this leads.