Stencila world tour at Mozfest, eLife and Cambridge

Photo by Erik Westra / Westra & Co under CC BY-NC 2.0

Mozfest is a unique experience. Hard to describe and even harder to plan for, it’s a 3 day wild ride of open source/science/access/education/web/politics communities coming together. Nokome and myself jumped in to join the scrum to learn about new projects, connect with old friends, and meet new colleagues.

Photo by Erik Westra / Westra & Co under CC BY-NC 2.0

We joined eLife Innovation’s Open Science Soapbox session, a lively session of lightning talks by open projects that focus on the scientific and scholarly research space. PREreview, a new forum to support students and postdoc journal clubs to review preprints and share their feedback with authors. Open the North seeks to build a mobile app for the Guide to the Guide to Eating Ontario Fish to make these data accessible to far northern communities. The Dat Project, also under the Code for Science & Society non-profit presented Dat in the Lab, an initiative to develop and pilot Dat-based workflows for data sharing and publishing in research labs. The amazing Marcos Vital presented his TeachR project. It was an energetic session with so many inspiring projects we’ll be following!

Nokome presents Stencila to the eLife Open Science Soapbox group.

We also checked out the Whitaker Lab’s Brain Networks in Python session where we learned about how cognitive neuroscience uses python through a hands on reproduction of the analysis of a network neuroscience paper. We got the chance to learn more about Beaker Browser, a decentralized web browser built on Dat, from developer Tara Vancil. By the end of the conference, we were exhausted. We met many new friends and colleagues interested in reproducible research and left feeling inspired and full of new ideas for collaboration.

From Mozfest, the Stencila world tour rolled on to Cambridge. Nokome and I visited the eLife offices where user experience designer Nick Duffield (more on Nick’s work at eLife here) has been conducting user testing. I sat in on a session and will now forever think “what would Nick do?” when observing people interact with software. Thank you eLife for working with us!

We then toured Cambridge with Kirstie Whitaker where we saw ancient fossilized fish, undergraduates punting around, and lawns upon which one should not even think of walking.

Thanks Kirstie for the fantastic tour of Cambridge. Stay tuned for more from the New York City stop of the world tour this week!

More Mozfest photos here.

Great post, but I love this bit most of all:

Great to see you all during MozFest. What is the license of the Open Science Soapbox session in the case I want to reuse it. :slight_smile:

Some of the photos are from the Mozfest flickr - they’re cc-by (so, thanks for asking the question so I could add attribution!). The other photos are mine, and those are cc0. If you have more qs about the licensing of the Open Science Soapbox, ask @eLifeInnovation. Great to see you!

Hi @rgaiacs! What do you mean by license of the open science soapbox exactly?

It’s certainly not an original format for an event - so please feel free to use as you wish.

There’ll be a blogpost about it coming out next week with further materials - that will be CC-BY as is all content on eLife.

Please don’t hesitate to ask any more questions.

Best,
Naomi
eLife

I forgot to add “photo” on my question. Sorry. “Nokome presents Stencila to the eLife Open Science Soapbox group.” photo is great and I would like to reuse it. :slight_smile: